Sunday, April 10, 2011

My how the world has changed

I know I promised a blog on content versus style - but it is very complex, and only in the first draft. So as I render out some video to ,mp4 (making the cores hit 95% and the fan scream, I thought I'd comment. About 15 years ago, I got into "Video" editing - a MAC clone (Ahhhh, Power Computing), a Miro DC 20 card and a 9 Gig hard drive. The 9 gig hard drive cost over $900 dollars. Now I see a Terabyte hard drive for $40 bucks, I'm not even interested, it's USB 2,  too slow for my purposes (back up), but the reality is insane at how cheap storage has become. How much storage we need, I have some 500 gig drives that are just annoying because everything is spread over so many drives, it is inconvenient. I've got Gigabit, I want a NAS raid, that will go to sleep and spin down the drives when not in use.

On a side note, I've boxes and boxes of OCN (16mm and 35mm) and no place to store them - Not really sure I want to get rid of them, but I can't afford to transfer them either.

One Terabyte for $40, I can't wrap my head around it.

No comments:

Post a Comment